What We Stand For

 
What We Stand For
We gather with Christ through the works of reconciliation. 

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Tuesday of Holy Week, Year B, March 26th, 2024
Texts: Isaiah 49:1-6; Psalm 71; John 13:21-33.36-38 

Today’s first reading reminds us of what we stand for as the people of God. We are to reconcile the whole world with God and be light to the people. God emphasises that being light to the world is as important as the works of reconciliation. He puts it thus: "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." 

St. Paul also tells us in his second letter to the Corinthians thus: “All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us” (5:18-19). We gather with Christ through the works of reconciliation.  

We are to be light to people

Jesus refers to Himself and to us as the light of the world. He says, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life” (John 8:12). About us He says, “You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid” (Matt. 5:14). We are to be light to people as we preaches the message of reconciliation. This means we should live the message as we preach. 

Whatever we do that does not reconcile people with God is in vain. Hence, prophet Isaiah says, "I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my right is with the  Lord, and my recompense with my God." In the words of Jesus Christ: “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters” (Matt. 12:30). Being the light is to be Christ to the world, for He is the true light.  

Betrayal and greed are enemies of reconciliation

We see in today’s gospel reading that betrayal and greed are enemies of reconciliation; they scatter and put asunder. This is clear in the life of Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus Christ for money. He displayed greed and betrayal, which wrenched his relationship with God. Hence, we should not entertain greed and betrayal in our lives, we should kill them immediately we notice them.

Prayer 

Almighty ever-living God, grant us so to celebrate the mysteries of the Lord’s Passion that we may merit to receive your pardon. Amen 

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  
 
 
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments