Trust Firmly In God, Even In Trying Time

 
Trust Firmly In God, Even In Trying Time
Continuing in good works is a way of proving our persecutors wrong.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Friday of 5th Week of Lent B, March 22nd, 2024
Texts: Jeremiah 20:10-13; Psalm 18:2-7; John 10:31-42 

Prophet Jeremiah invites us to trust firmly in God, even in trying time. In the first reading he tells us about his persecution and his assurance of God’s salvation. He says, “Terror is on every side! "Denounce him! Let us denounce him!" say all my familiar friends, watching for my fall. ... But the  Lord is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble, they will not overcome me.”

Prophet Jeremiah teaches us that trying time is not a time to be sad, complain against God or man. He shows that it is time to praise God for hope of salvation. This is clear when he says, “Sing to the  Lord; praise the  Lord! For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hand of evildoers.” This is having positive attitude to life as people of God. If we keep this approach to life we shall triumph over challenges of life, nothing will disturb our peace. 

Believe the works

Jesus Christ teaches us in the gospel reading that trying time is not the time to abandon good works. Continuing in good works is a way of proving our persecutors wrong and so triumph over them. Jesus Christ puts it thus: “If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." 

Jesus got many believing in Him by continuing in good works. We read, “And many came to him; and they said, ‘John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.’ And many believed in him there.” The trick of our enemies is to make us abandon good works and thus prove we are unworthy. Hence, Jeremiah says, "’Denounce him! Let us denounce him!’ say all my familiar friends, watching for my fall. ‘Perhaps he will be deceived, then we can overcome him, and take our revenge on him.’" 

Today’s message is that trying moment is a time to trust in God, hope in Him and continue in good works. When we do the other way round, we fall into the trap of our persecutors. 

Prayer 

Pardon the offences of your peoples, we pray, O Lord, and in your goodness set us free from the bonds of the sins we have committed in our weakness. Amen 

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  
 
 
 
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments