The People Asked Jesus To Leave

Until we accept the loss, redemption of the loss will continue to elude us.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Monday of 4th Week in Ordinary Time II, January 29th, 2024
Texts: 2 Samuel 15:13-14.30; 16:5-13; Psalm 3:2-8; Mark 5:1-20 

The People asked Jesus to leave their neighbourhood! Does that not stir up questions in you? “Why?” is the question that comes to my mind. St. Mark has left it for us to infer the answer. Perhaps it was because of the economic loss Jesus caused by giving the legion leave to enter the pigs. Were they afraid that they could lose more or the loss angered them? The two could be the case. Some people could fear more loss and at the same time be angry for the loss. It could be fear of loss for some people and anger for some people.  

Some of us are like them too. We are afraid of loss. If I say the truth I will lose my position, I will lose my job. Truth suffers for fear of loss. We could be wicked for fear of loss. If I do not sack him/her, I will lose my position to him/her. I will continue to suppress him so that I will not lose my shine. Some people engage and support corruption and bribery and the likes for fear of losing their economic power. What about slander, libel, backbiting etc we do for fear of loss of relevance, prestige, fame and the likes!  

They forfeit salvation because of anger

Anger is also another problem we could have. Some of us are blinded by anger, it is our master. The people, in the gospel reading, did no longer see the advantage of Jesus staying with them. They forfeit salvation because of anger. The same thing happens to us when we act because of anger. Getting angry because of loss we cannot change is something we should not welcome. It is damaging and lasts as long as we are ready to accept it. Until we accept the loss, redemption of the loss will continue to elude us. 

Anger is a kind of emotional pain we develop as a reaction to a happening we do not agree with. We throw ourselves at the mercy of the happening for being angry. When we are angry we succumb to pain because we do not agree with something.  

He did not allow his loss to anger him

David, in today’s first reading, did not allow his condition, his emotional pain, blind him. He was suffering loss of his throne, power, comfort and plunging into shame and disgrace. He did not allow his loss to anger him. David still saw good in the insult of Shimei. He said, “Behold, my own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Let him alone, and let him curse; for the  Lord has bidden him. It may be that the  Lord will look upon my affliction, and that the  Lord will repay me with good for this cursing of me today." Let us emulate him. 

Prayer  

Lord our God, save us from fear of loss that has held us captive, succumbing to evil; we beg You to heal us of anger that we may tread the path of redemption. Amen  

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  
 
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments