The Loss Of Sense Of Sin

 
The Loss Of Sense Of Sin
The paraphernalia of power could blind man.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Saturday of 3rd Week in Ordinary Time II, January 27th, 2024
Texts: 2 Samuel 12:1-7.10- 17; Psalm 51:12-17:; Mark 4:35-41 

A damming thing that can happen to us is the loss of sense of sin. It happened to David. How come that he lost the sense of sin! The paraphernalia of power could blind man. As King he could believe that he had power to Kill and make alive. As King he could believe everything, both living and non-living in his kingdom, belongs to him.  

Power has a way of making man believe that he is god. Power has the capacity to make man live beside himself. Do not be surprised that a person you know become different after he has got power. Power could make one mad.
David had his own share of influence of power, he was blind to sin. He committed sin and did not know the gravity of his sin. Prophet Nathan shone the light of truth on his sin through parable. With parable David could see the sin outside himself.  

I have sinned against the  Lord

It is very easy to see sin in other and condemn it. We read, “Then David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, ‘As the  Lord lives, the man who has done this deserves to die; and he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.’" Then Nathan said, "You are the man.” Then he realised his sin and its gravity. Hence, he said, "I have sinned against the  Lord." 

God forgives us when we acknowledge our sins. This is clear in the words of Nathan to David: “The  Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die.” St. John puts it thus: “If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).  
However, Nathan shows that sinner does not go without penance to do. Hence, he says, “Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the  Lord, the child that is born to you shall die."  

Sinfulness is a turbulent moment in life

Today’s gospel reading reminds us that sinfulness is a turbulent moment in life. If we acknowledge our sinfulness, we will be cleansed from our sinfulness. Scripture says, “While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and you forgave the guilt of my sin” (Psalm 32:3-5). 

Prayer 

We thank You, Lord, for always forgiving us; strengthen our will to always incline to doing Your will. When we falter, may we be sorry for our sins and turn away from them. Amen  

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  

Post a Comment

0 Comments