Kingship of our Lord Jesus Christ

 
Kingship of our Lord Jesus Christ
Mercy and kindness are the values of the kingdom of our Lord.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Christ the King Solemnity, Sunday 26th November, 2023
Texts: Ezekiel 34:11-12.15-17; Psalm 23:1-3,5-6; 1 Corinthians 15:20-26.28; Matthew 25:31-46 

Every last Sunday of Ordinary Time is the Solemnity of Christ the King of the Universe. Today’s readings provide insights into the Kingship of our Lord Jesus Christ. Today’s gospel reading reminds us that He is a king with power to judge. He himself says, “For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son” (John 5:27).  

In the gospel reading He tells us that by His judgment He will separate the cursed from the blessed. As judge He is coming to make us kings and reign with Him in His kingdom. Hence, He says, “Come, 0 blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world”. He will judge us based on our deeds.  

He will judge us based on our deeds

Our deeds show whether we are blessed or cursed. If we are merciful and kind we are blessed. Hence, He says to the blessed thus: “for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.” He adds “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.” 

The judgment will be whether we are merciful and kind to our neighbours. This means that mercy and kindness are the values of the kingdom of our Lord. Unless we are merciful and kind to our neighbours, we cannot participate in His kingdom. We must be merciful and kind to be able to live in the kingdom. We reign with Christ when we are merciful and kind.  

Depart from me, you cursed

The cursed will lose the kingdom of God. They are those who are not merciful and kind to their neighbours. Hence, our Lord says, “Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” He adds, “Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.” 

Prophet Ezekiel, in the first reading, gives us the image of King-shepherd.  Prophet Ezekiel speaks of shepherding role to rescue the strayed and care for them. He says, “I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the crippled, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will watch over; I will feed them in justice.” As King our Lord has come to rescue the lost. In His own words: “I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance” (Luke 5:32).  

He has come for the sinners

Our Lord has not come for sinners, the righteous. He has come for the sinners. This is a task that entails great sacrifice. How does our Lord rescue us? How He rescues us is clear in today’s second reading. He rescues us by His death and resurrection from the dead. Being the offspring of Adam and Eve, we have inherited eternal death. We have all sinned and fallen short of God’s glory (Rom. 3:23).  

Our Lord died to conquer death for us and manifested resurrection. This means death is no longer our end, we now have hope of resurrection. In today’s second reading, St. Paul expresses it thus: “Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.” 

Prayer 

Almighty ever-living God, whose will is to restore all things in your beloved Son, the King of the universe, grant, we pray, that the whole creation, set free from slavery, may render your majesty service and ceaselessly proclaim your praise. Amen 

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  
 
 
 
 
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments