Which is the great commandment in the law?

 
Which is the great commandment
This great commandment is love.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Friday of 20th Week in Ordinary Time, Year I, August 25th, 2023
Texts: Ruth 1:1.3-6.14-16.22; Psalm 146:5-10; Matthew 22:34-40 

People often say, “The reward for good work is more work”. Today’s gospel reading seems to affirm the truth of the saying. We read, “When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they came together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.” Jesus just did well in a test and then another test followed. He was faced with the question, “Which is the great commandment in the law?" That must have been a tough question among Jews.  

Jesus Christ cannot but know that the question was meant to test Him. I believe He answered the question because it served His purpose to teach the people. This teaches us that we can also use our enemies’ devices for good. Some devices of our enemies could provide means to teach forgiveness, love, patience, faith, hope, humility, etc.

I did no t know it until I put myself in His shoes 

Jesus was humble to answer the lawyer, knowing that he came to test Him. I did no t know it until I put myself in His shoes. I imagined standing among the congregation teaching them about the kingdom of God. And I saw a lawyer asking me, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" Knowing that he came to test me, I felt offended and was upset. Seeing the advantage to teach the people something important, I decided to answer the question.

However, I did answer the question in a way that he felt slighted. I turned away from him and faced the people to slight the lawyer and said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it. You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." After answering the question, I asked the people whether they understand my answer. I did so to make the lawyer understand that I did not care about him. 

This great commandment is love

The great commandment is that to which every other commandment is subjected. It is a supreme law. It is the source and fountain from which every commandment flows and summit to which they are directed. This great commandment is love; it is not the love of the world, selfish love or any kind of love. It is the love of God. Jesus Christ says, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.” Our actions should flow from the love of God and be directed to it.  

The love of God is the secret of the love Ruth showed her mother-in-law. The love of God is the source and fountain of her love and its summit. She loved her mother-in-law with her heart, soul, and mind. She loved when there was nothing to gain. Her love was pure, true and unconditional. We see in her how to love God in our neighbours, not even how to love them as ourselves. However, Jesus says, “And a second is like it. You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” Love of neighbour is also a great commandment. The action that is bereft of love of neighbour is sinful. 

Prayer  

God our Father, loving You is for glorification and eternal happiness; grant that we may love You with the whole heart, soul and mind; may we love You above all things. Amen  

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  

Post a Comment

0 Comments