I will not let you go, unless you bless me

 
I will never let you go
Perseverance in righteousness wins spiritual battle.

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Tuesday of 14th Week in Ordinary Time, Year I, July 11th, 2023
Texts: Genesis 32:23-33; Psalm 17:1-2.6-8.15; Matthew 9:32-38

We learn from today’s readings that by perseverance we prevail. The first reading is the story of how Jacob struggled with God and man and prevailed. Jacob displayed perseverance in his struggle with God and man. Even when he was thrown out of joint, he held on to God and refuse to let him go. We read, "Jacob’s thigh was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, 'let me go, for the day is breaking,' but Jacob said, 'I will not let you go, unless you bless me.'”

Let us always convince God that we can become better in our relationship with Him. When we fall and rise let us prevail by loving God the more and keeping His words. Jacob prevail before God by his righteousness. It is by righteous living that we prevail in our striving with God. Perseverance in righteousness wins spiritual battle. God said to Jacob,  “Your name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 

Jesus shows perseverance in righteousness

In today’s gospel reading, Jesus shows perseverance in righteousness. Inspite of what people said about Him, He continues in His good works. We read, “But the Pharisees said, 'He casts out demons by the prince of demons'. And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity". Jesus did not allow the negative things people were saying to stop Him doing good.

We persevere in God when we live our case in the hands of God. In today’s Psalm we read, "O Lord, hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry. Turn your ear to my prayer: No deceit is on my lips. From you may my justice come forth. Your eyes discern what is upright. Search my heart and visit me by night." Once we leave our cause in the hands of God, they do not bother us again. Let us leave the gossipers in the hand of God. 

Prayer

God Almighty, grant that we may leave our cause in Your hands; strengthen our faith to persevere in righteous living, that we may prevail in life and live to please You. Amen

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments