What is my Reward?


 

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Friday of 23rd Week in Ordinary Time, Year II, September 9th, 2023
Texts: I Cor. 9:16- 19.22b-27; Psalm 84:3.4.5-6.12; Luke 6:39-42

The spiritual eye of St. Paul is so great and piercing! In today’s first reading we could see the depth of his spiritual understanding. He asked the question: “What is my reward?” He answered the question thus: “Just this: that in my preaching I may make the gospel free of charge, not making full use of my right in the gospel.” He had a different sense of reward here and now. For him his reward was to make sacrifice. It was to be selfless, sacrificing his rights. Put differently it was to be a witness to the gospel, the gospel of the cross. Cross is the reward.

St. Paul did not see preaching of the gospel He says, “If I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me.” Preaching the gospel is a necessity for every Christian. In another words: preaching the gospel should be second nature to all Christians. We should not expect credit from preaching the gospel, just as dog has no credit for barking. Our credit lies in being witnesses to the truth of the gospel. We are witnesses to the gospel when we live its values.

Preaching the gospel was of necessity for him.

We have to ask ourselves these questions: Do we have the same understanding of the gospel with St. Paul? Do we have the same understanding of reward with him? Perhaps, yes. Perhaps, no. Whatever the answer, it reveals the depth of our spiritual understanding and maturity. While some of us still remain at the level of preaching the gospel as means of our salvation, he was not. His understanding of preaching the gospel was different. Preaching the gospel was of necessity for him. It should be the same for every Christian. We also need to brace up in our understanding of reward.

Preaching the gospel was of necessity because it was for that purpose God called him. He deserved no reward for it because God called him to do it. In his words: “For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission.” This reminds us of the words of our Lord: “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you” (John 15:16). Bearing fruits is of necessity for us; it is our second nature.

Can a blind man lead a blind man?

Jesus Christ, in today’s gospel reading, says, “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above his teacher, but every one when he is fully taught will be like his teacher.” The blind are those whose spiritual eyes are limited and could not see far. Their depth of spiritual understanding is very shallow.

Every Christian is a guide for the world. This is also clear when Jesus Christ said, “ You are the light of the world”. We need to sharpen our spiritual eyes. How can we be true guide unless we we can see far! We also have to grow in depth of our spiritual understanding and maturity.

Lord Jesus Christ, grant us the grace to grow in maturity and understanding. Amen

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments