The Reading of Scripture

Reflection on Today’s Readings, Thursday of 4th Week of Easter, May 12th, 2022

Texts: Acts 13:13-25; Psalm 89:2-3.21 -22.25.27; John 13: 16-20

There are some things we do which we have lost track of their meaning and purpose because they have become routine, fun and one of those things. Some of these things are even handed over to us. We see in today’s first reading that the reading of God’s words in the assembly of the faithful did not begin with Christianity but a tradition picked up from Judaism. Today we are to ask ourselves, ‘why reading the word of God during liturgy?’ This tradition probably started during Babylonian exile. Before the exile sacrifice was at the centre of liturgy of the people. When the Temple was destroyed and the people were taken to exile in Babylon, the law, the prophet and other writings became codified and took the centre stage in the liturgy; the people started to gather around the reading of God’s words. Just as the sacrifice served as the means of maintaining their relationship with God, so also the reading of Scripture is meant to maintain their relationship with God.  

We see in today’s first reading that reading the word of God serves as a light in understanding the divine mystery.  St. Paul, in the first reading, went through the law to explain to the people how Jesus Christ was the fulfilment of God’s promises. He says, “’...The God of this people Israel chose our fathers and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with uplifted arm he led them out of it. And for about forty years he bore with them in the wilderness. And when he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them their land as an inheritance, for about four hundred and fifty years. And after that he gave them judges until Samuel the prophet. Then they asked for a king; and God gave them Saul the son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, for forty years. And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king; of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David, the son of Jesse, a man after my heart, who will do all my will.' Of this man’s posterity God has brought to Israel a Saviour, Jesus, as he promised. ...’” He Jesus Christ also tells us in the gospel reading that Scripture is fulfilled in Him: “I am not speaking of you all; I know whom I have chosen; it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’”

We learn from the gospel reading that God speaks to us beforehand so that when it is fulfilled we will have faith in Him. Hence, Jesus Christ says, “I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.” The fulfilment of God’s promise in Jesus Christ is to draw us closer to God, it is an affirmation that there is God. Jesus Christ is also God, for what He says about Himself is also fulfilled as Judas Iscariot betrayed Him. This tells us that only God that has the foreknowledge of things. He knows us before we are born. The psalm says, “O LORD, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away. You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, O LORD, you know it completely. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.”.

Reading the Scripture keeps alive in us the saving deeds of God and His promises. When we read about the mighty deeds of God, our faith in Him is nourished and kept alive. It also hope alive, knowing that the same God will do what He has promised.  

O God, who restore human nature to yet greater dignity than at  its beginnings, look upon the amazing mystery of your loving kindness, and in those you have chosen to make new through the wonder of rebirth, may you preserve the gifts of your enduring grace and blessing. Amen (Collect) 

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

 

Post a Comment

0 Comments