The Faith in Jesus Christ

 Reflection on Today’s Readings, Wednesday of 4th Week of Easter, May 11th, 2022

Texts: Acts 12:24- 13:5a; Psalm 67:2-3.5.6.8; John 12:44-50

The teaching of Jesus in today’s gospel reading was for the Jews and it actually makes sense in the context of Judaism. Jesus Christ tried to tell them that putting faith in Him was not a deviation from their faith but its fulfilment. He says, “He who believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And he who sees me sees him who sent me.” He who sent Him is God. For us it means that the faith in Jesus Christ is not faith in man but faith in God, the worship of Him is not the worship of man but the worship of God. In Jesus Christ we see God and encounter God. He gives reason for this when He says, “For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life.” This tells us that if we do the will of God, follow His words, no one comes to us and will not find God; we will always be bearers of God to others and He will always shine forth in our lives.  

Jesus Christ is also a light, for He does the will of God. He says, “I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.” The light, here, is knowledge, the knowledge of God and ways of life pleasing to Him. Having the knowledge of God and ways of life, we no longer have no excuse not to be saved. We have no reason to be lost any longer. We can no longer say we make our existential choices out of ignorance. Since we know the truth we become culpable and blame worthy for our choices. Hence, He says, “If any one hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day.” We are called today to walk in the light of Christ. We walk in the light of Christ when we keep His word, commandments and live as He lived. When we live by the gospel values, we walk in the light of Christ.  

Today’s first reading calls us to work for the growth and multiplication of the word. We make the word of God grow when we allow it to transform our lives, when we live daily by the word. The word of God also grows when people continue to understand it better. We work for the multiplication of the word when we speak about it to others and by our ways of life others come to know Jesus Christ. In the first reading, St. Paul and St. Barnabas are called to work for the growth and multiplication of the word of God. God send them to speak about Jesus Christ to other peoples, so that the word will continue to transform lives and continue to be made known to many peoples. 

O God, life of the faithful, glory of the humble, blessedness of the just, listen kindly to the prayers of those who call on you, that they who thirst for what you generously promise, may always have their fill of your plenty. Amen (Collect) 

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  

Post a Comment

0 Comments