Participating in the Works of Salvation

 Reflection on Today’s Readings, Monday of Holy Week, April 11th, 2022
Texts: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3,13-14; John 12:1-11
It is the will of God that those in whom He delights participate in the works of salvation. Today’s first reading shows that in God we all have mission. In the reading, it is said, “Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him, he will being forth justice to the nations.” God delights in us and choose us for a purpose. The question to us is this: What mission do I have in God? What do I do in God’s name? How do I participate in the works of salvation? Perhaps, my mission is to give hope and comfort to people. Perhaps, I have decided to hate no one. Perhaps, my mission is to be incorruptible. The list could be endless.  
God tells us in the first reading that His chosen and delight will bring forth justice. When we talk about justice in relation to God it is more than giving someone his/her due; it is also a firm disposition to help those who are helpless. Justice is an inclination towards the poor, the less privileged, the needy, etc. Hence, in the reading, it is said, “I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from prison those who sit in the darkness.” Jesus Christ is the only true chosen of God, His delight. The revelation at baptism and Transfiguration affirms the truth that Jesus Christ is the true chosen of God and His delight. To be covenant to the people is to be the means through which people meet God, encounter Him and come to Him. Jesus is our covenant because it is in Him we are reconciled with God. Being our covenant, He is a light to the nations, showing the way and leading us to God. Opening the eyes of the blind means He is going to teach the ignorant. He is also going to set the captives free. It is for this work that He is crucified.  
The reading shows that the mission is not an easy one but one that comes with opposition. It is clear in today’s gospel reading as Jesus Christ is opposed and the hatred towards Him is extended to the beneficiary of His good works, Lazarus. This reminds us that we, as the beneficiaries of His works, also share the same fate with Him; those who oppose Him we also rise against us. However, God is always with us once we continue in the righteousness for which we are called. It is said, “I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you”. Judas Iscariot is an example of one who failed to continue in righteousness for which he was called. In today’s gospel reading, we are also reminded that we need to commit ourselves to the body of Christ, the Church; just as we take care of the poor, justice also demands that we perform our religious obligation. It is through our religious duties, we maintain the body of Christ, the Church.  

Grant, we pray, almighty God, that, though in our weakness we fail, we may be revived through the Passion of your Only Begotten Son. Amen (Collect).

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  


Post a Comment

0 Comments