Jesus is Facing his Passion


 Reflection on Today’s Readings, Wednesday of Holy Week, April 13th, 2022
Texts: Isaiah 50:4-9a; Psalm 69:8-10.21-22.31.33-34; Matthew 26: 14-25
Today’s first reading brings to mind the readiness of Jesus Christ to face His passion. He is going to face His passion in obedience to the Father; He is going to keep the instructions of the Father as He is going to face His passion. Hence, in the reading it is said, “The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I turned not backward.” Are we like Him in facing squarely the challenges of life? Do we not often complain? Many a time we dodge responsibility. Many a time we dodge challenges. Jesus teaches us by His passion to always be ready to face whatever challenge that comes our ways.  
We are also made to know that He will not give in to distraction. This is clear in the words: “I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I hid not my face from shame and spitting.” He is not going to be distracted by insult, shame, threat, fear, beating, abuse, backbiting. He will not because of those who strike His back to look backwards. He will not allow those who strike His cheek to distract Him. He will not allow those who pull at His beard to distract Him. In our case, how often are we distracted by insults, shame, threat, fear, beating, abuse, backbiting, disappointment, etc. We often allow offences to distract us. We should not allow other people’s behaviour, attitudes and wickedness to distract us.
The assurance of God’s help helps Jesus to face His passion in obedience to God. This is clear in the words: “For the Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been confounded; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near.” This also reminds us that God’s help is always sure for us. Having challenges or problems does not mean that God has abandoned us.  
Judas Iscariot is further more committed as he is now paid to betray Jesus. We see in Judas Iscariot how easy it is for man to betray the other for pecuniary gain. Man can also betray his friend for pleasure. We are not to betray one another. Let us be loyal to one another. We are not to betray God in our thought, words, and deeds. Whenever we do something that is not worthy of His name, we have betrayed Him.  


O God, who willed your Son to submit for our sake to the yoke of the Cross, so that you might drive from us the power of the enemy, grant us, your servants, to attain the grace of the resurrection.

 
Fr. Andrew Olowomuke  

Post a Comment

0 Comments