Conversion: Our way of Life


 Reflection on Today's Readings, the Conversion of St. Paul, Tuesday 25th January, 2022
Texts: Acts 9:1-22; Psalm117:1.2; Mark 16:15 - 18
Today is the feast of conversion of St. Paul. Conversion should be an experience of every genuine Christian. Conversion is "a dynamic and lifelong process by which a person changes his or her ways in order to become more devoted to the good news of Jesus of Nazareth, more involved in doing Christian charity, and more centred on a prayerful and growing relationship with the loving God revealed in the gospel" (Reynolds R. Eskstrom, The New Concise Catholic Dictionary, p. 81). In a bullet point, conversion is a process by which a person changes his or her ways. Way means path, direction, orientation, focus, etc. The changes is in process because it is gradual, one after the other and with an end in view. The ends in view are: 1) devotion to the gospel of Jesus Christ; 2) Christian charity; and 3) prayerful and growing relationship with the loving God revealed in the gospel. The process is dynamic because it is not static, it is not once and for all, it is ongoing. It is lifelong because it continues throughout lifetime; it continues as long as one lives.  Conversion is also a change of mind and heart; it involves new intellectual orientation and emotional attachment. What we celebrate, today, in St. Paul is the submission of his intellect, will and emotion to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Just like St. Paul, we are to submit our intellect, will and emotion to God. Some of us only submit our intellect to God but hold back our will. Such people speak well of God but morally conrupt. Some of us submit our wills but not our intellect. Such people are morally strong but do not bother to seek knowledge about Jesus Christ, they do not attend Catechism class, bible studies, etc. There is likehood for them to become fanatics. The submission of emotion, with intellect and will, to God makes us fervent and shining Christians.
Conversion is a way of life; a genuine Christian experiences it daily. Each time we are aware that we have done something wrong and turn away from such act, we experience conversion. I usually come back home late in the night, I realise it is not good and I change, I have experienced conversion. I often shout at my spouse, I realise it is not good and I change, I have experienced conversion. I am used to drinking, I realise it is destroying me and I turn away from it, I have experienced conversion. I do go to church late, I realise it is not good and I change, I have experienced conversion. Today we are to look into the aspects of our lives that need conversion. Today's celebration will be fruitful if we can be converted from those aspects of our lives that need conversion. Let us uproot those bad habits who are in our lives.
Today's first reading tells us that St. Paul changed from the persecuting Jesus Christ. He persecuted Jesus Christ because of his attack on the followers of Jesus Christ; He stood on the way of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This reminds us once again that whatever we do to one another, we do to Jesus Christ. When I lie to you, I lie to Jesus Christ; when I cheat you, I cheat Jesus Christ; when I abuse you, I buse Jesus Christ; when you deceive me, you deceive Jesus Christ.
It is interesting to note that Jesus Christ sent Ananias to pray for St.  Paul that he might regain his sight. Jesus could have healed St. Paul without the prayer of Ananias but He decided to do so with his prayer. It is a reminder that God wills that we are useful to one another. That problem of mine, God might have given you the power to solve it. Do not forget that the solution to your own problem is also in the hand of another person. Perhaps, because I am yet to perform my responsibility to another person, you do not realise that you should help me. The prayer of some of us are not answered just because we have not paid our due to another person. That thing that God has given us the power to do, let us do it so that our own doors can be opened.
Another thing we must realise, today, is that conversion must be backed up with actions. It is said of St. Paul thus: "Then he rose and was baptised, and took food and was strengthened. For several days he was with the disciples at Damascus. And in the synagogues immediately he proclaimed Jesus, saying, 'He is the Son of God.'” We learn from St. Paul that our conversion should lead to baptism and the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are to share our faith, our convictions about Jesus Christ, with others. Let us back up our conversion with action. If we are truly converted we will pick up a task for God.
Jesus Christ, in today's gospel reading, sends us to go and proclaim the gospel and assures us of His protection upon us. Hence, in the first reading, it is said of St. Paul thus: "But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ." We continue to experience the protection of Jesus Christ as we share our faith with others,  as we live according to His commandments. He says, "And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

O God, who taught the whole world through the preaching of the blessed Apostle Paul, draw us, we pray, nearer to you through the example of him whose conversion we celebrate today, and so rnake us witnesses to your truth in the world. Amen. (Collect)

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments