Reflection on Today's Readings, Monday of 27th Week in Ordinary Time, Year 1 and the Memorial of St. Francis of Assisi, October 4th, 2021
Texts: Jonah 1:1-17; 2: 1.10; Ps. Jonah 2:2.3.4.7; Luke 10:25-37
Today's first reading reminds us of psalm, "Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,' even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you (139:7-12). God is everywhere, even in the air; we cannot run away from His presence. This is clear in today's first reading as Jonah ran away in futility. Even inside the belly of the fish, he was still in the presence of God; for it is said,Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish. And the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land." We can only hide from man, not God.
Jesus, in today's gospel reading , shows that law is the path of salvation. Whoever needs salvation is to keep the law. The law is summarized thus: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” Our neighbour is one who is in need of our help.
St. Francis of Assisi, whose memorial is today, was a son of wealthy man but chose to live the life of poverty to make others rich. He lived out the gospel value and preached the love of God. As we celebrate him, today, we are reminded to be poor in the spirit, live the life of the gospel and spread love and joy wherever we find ourselves.
Lord our God, we beg you to make us the instrument of your love; help us to spread love and joy wherever we find ourselves. Amen.
Fr. Andrew Olowomuke
0 Comments