Mary Magdalene, The Apostle To The Apostles


 Reflection on Today's Readings, The Feast of St. Mary Magdalene, Thursday 22nd, 2021
Texts: Song of Solomon 3:1-4ab; Ps. 63:2-6.8-9; John 20:1-2.11-18
Today is the feast of St. Mary Magdalene from whom seven demons were driven out (Lk. 8:2-3). Due to this, it could be said that we are celebrating today an icon of hope to sinners. It reminds us that sin is not our problem but the inability to repent and come back to God is the problem. The memory of St. Mary Magdalene also speaks of  the victory of God's mercy; God's mercy always triumphs over sin. We are not to lose hope of forgiveness at any time. We are to trust in God's mercy and love.
St. Mary Magdalene has a lot to admire and love. She was identified as one of the women who travelled with Jesus Christ and supported His ministry out of their resources (Lk 8:2-3).  She was a witness to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and His burial. She was the first or among the disciples to witness the empty tomb. Today's gospel reading presents her as the first to witness the empty tomb and the resurrection of Jesus Christ; she was the first to encounter the risen Lord. He was the first to be sent to break the news of resurrection; she became "the apostle to the apostles".
The love of Mary Magdalene is something to emulate. We are to love Jesus the way she loved her. Today's first reading captures her love for Jesus. Her love bound her to Jesus that in some fiction she was taken to be the wife of Jesus. In her we see the restless search of love; love continues to search until its object is found. This is captured in the first reading thus: _"Upon my bed by night I sought him whom my soul loves; I sought him, but found him not; I called him, but he gave no answer. I will rise now and go about the city, in the streets and in the squares; I will seek him whom my soul loves. ”I sought him, but found him not. The watchmen found me, as they went about in the city. 'Have you seen him whom my soul loves?'  Scarcely had I passed them, when I found him whom my soul loves"_ Love truly conquers.
The gospel reading shows that the first reading was fulfilled in Mary Magdalene. When it was still dark, that is at bedtime, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb. Upon her bed in the night she sought her Lord and love. She got to the tomb, she could not see her Lord and love. She went with the apostles, Peter and one other, she could not find Him again. She stayed there crying and searching and she finally saw her Lord and love. This brings to mind the word of prophet Jeremiah: _"When you search for me, you will find me; when you search wholeheartedly for me"_ (29:13). Those who love God search for Him wholeheartedly and they find Him. In Mary Magdalene we are assured that we can see Jesus Christ if we search for Him in love in this our time and age.

Lord Jesus Christ, thank You for the hope and assurance you have given us in Your disciple, Mary Magdalene; grant that we may always imitate her love for You. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments