Work Well Done


 Reflection on Today's Readings, Tuesday of 7th Week of Easter, Year B, May 18th, 2021
Texts: Acts 20:17-27; Ps. 68:10-11.20-21; John 17:1-11a
Today's Readings remind us to do our work well. Whatever profession we belong to our minds should always be set on job well done and message well delivered. When we do our work well, we satisfy our consciences. We will have peace when our consciences are satisfied. When our consciences are satisfied, we can stand before both God and man with confidence. Paul, in today's first reading, speaks with clear conscience and confidence because he left no stone unturned in carrying our his work of the gospel. He shows us, today, that he had no regret about his leaving the people of Ephesus. He says, "And now, behold, I know that all you among whom I have gone about preaching the kingdom will see my face no more. Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.” Paul gave everything to the gospel for their sake; he did not even hold back himself. He says, "But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may accomplish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."
We see in the life of Paul what it means to lay down one's life for another, for Christ, for the gospel. This is clear in his words: “You yourselves know how I lived among you all the time from the first day that I set foot in Asia, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which befell me through the plots of the Jews; how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance to God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." There is no better or greater way to show one's love of Jesus than what Paul did. Paul shows us what it means to live for Christ; he shows us what it means to live for a purpose. Paul laid down his life for the course of the gospel. We may ask ourselves which way we have shown our love of God. Many of us deny Jesus to save our integrity; many of us deny Jesus for material gain; many of us deny Jesus for pleasure. We can see how fake our love is; we can see how false our claim of love is; we can see how unfaithful we can be. Jesus loved us till death but common pleasure we cannot give up for His sake; we cannot lower our ego for His sake; we cannot endure common insult for His sake; we cannot forgive for His sake; we cannot give up anger for His sake etc. "What can I give up for His sake?" I asked myself.
The gospel reading goes further to tell us that when we do our work well, we give glory to God. Jesus says, "I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work which you gave me to do". Jesus glorified the Father by doing His work according to the will of the Father. A work is done well when it is done according to God's will.
When we do our work well, we will be crowned with glory; glory await all who do their works well. Jesus affirms this when he says, "having accomplished the work which you gave me to do; and now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory which I had with you before the world was made." To join the communion of saints in heaven, we have to do our works well here on earth. Any assignment we take up here on earth, let us do it for the glorification of God, that we may be crowned with glory by God.

Lord our God, send forth your Spirit and your love shall be perfected in us and we shall be recreated. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments