Advent: Rejoicing in the Lord's Salvation

 Reflection on Today's Readings, Tuesday, 4th Week of Advent, December 22nd, 2020

Texts: 1 Sam. 1:24-28; Ps. 1 Sam. 2:1.4-8; Luke 1:46-56

Today's Readings express the joy of hope fulfilled. In the first reading, Hannah offered sacrifice to God for prayer answered and hope fulfilled. She came to fulfill her promise to God. She said, "Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing here in your presence, praying to the Lord. For this child I prayed; and the Lord has granted me my petition which I made to him. Therefore I have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he is lent to the Lord." Hence, the first reading is about the celebration of a hope fulfilled, the prayer answered. It is God that fulfils hope and answers prayer. Hence, it is the celebration of God's doing: God has visited his people, our salvation has begun. 

The responsorial psalm is the song of Hannah; she sang it to express her joy for what God has done. She invites us to rejoice in the Lord's salvation. 

The gospel reading is the song of Blessed Virgin Mary of God's deeds; she sang it to express her joy for what God has done. She rejoiced because God's grace has transformed her life. She says, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has regarded the low state of his handmaid. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name." 

In today's Readings, we are called to rejoice for the Lord has fulfilled our hope, he has answered our prayer; Our Saviour is already among us. Let us rejoice and be glad, for God has come to save us.

We thank you Lord for sharing in our conditions, that we may share in your nature; may we always rejoice in your salvation. Amen.

Rev. Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments