Christ, the King of the Universe

 Reflection on Today's Readings, the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of the Universe, Sunday 22nd November, 2020

Texts: Ezek. 34:11-12.15-17; Ps. 23:1-6; 1Cor. 15:20-26.28; Matt. 25:31-46

The kingdom of God is a state whereby there is subjection of will and reason to God. This kingdom of God is both here and now and in the future. This means it is in process. We have to remind the world, today, that kingdom, glory and power belong to our God, Jesus Christ the Lord. Many rulers of this world have forgotten that kingdom, glory and power belong to him. The Church is aware of this when she says, "The ruler of his world has mendaciously attributed to himself the three titles of kingship, power and glory. Christ, the Lord, restores them to his Father and our Father, until he hands over the kingdom to him when the mystery of salvation will be brought to it's completion and God will be all in all" (CCC NO. 2855). He restores the kingdom through his resurrection. The participation in the resurrection of our Lord is a key to participation in the kingdom of God. The Sacramental way of participation in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is through baptism. St. Paul says, "You have been buried with him by your baptism; by which, too, you have been raised up with him through your belief in the power of God who raised him from the dead" (Col. 2:12). Our participation in Jesus' resurrection through baptism is a birth into a new life (Rom. 6:4).  This new life is the subjection of our will and reason to him. When we submit our will and reason to him we allow him to reign over us. It is then we can say with St. Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me" (Gal. 2:20). Baptism is a key to the kingdom of God. Jesus Christ affirms it thus: "In truth I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born through water and the Spirit" (John 3:5). With baptism we allow Jesus Christ to reign over us. This means at baptism we acknowledge that kingdom, glory and power belong to him. At baptism we proclaim it among our brethren, but today we have come to proclaim it to the world, to both believers and non-believers. We proclaim it to non-believers that they may know and repent. 

We also participate in the resurrection of Jesus Christ through practical means. This practical means is putting under control the desires of the flesh and its passions. St. Paul says, "All who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified self with all its passions and desires" (Gal. 5:24). Another practical means by which we participate in resurrection of Jesus Christ is through charity. Today's gospel reading places emphasis on charity as a key to the kingdom of God. At the end of time, we will be judged base on works of charity. These works of charity include giving food to the hungry, giving water to the thirsty, welcoming strangers, clothing the naked, care for the sick, care for the prisoners. Jesus Christ makes charity a criterion for entering the kingdom, when he says, "Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'" Through our works of charity we show our love for Christ Jesus in our brothers and sisters. Hence, Jesus Christ says, "Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of this my brethren, you did it to me". This is a call to engage in works of charity.

Lord our God, guide us by your grace and make us partakers of your kingdom. Amen.

Rev. Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments