Who Sees God?

Reflection on Today's Readings and the Feast of Mary Magdalene, Wednesday 22nd July, 2020
Texts: Song. 3:1-4; Ps. 63:2-5.8-9; John 20:1-2.11-18
Today we have to ask the question: 'Who sees God?' He who loves God sees him. Love for God makes one to desire him and search for him. It is a search of a soul for God. Hence, the first reading puts it thus: "Upon my bed by night I sought him whom my soul loves". The search for God begins with the subjection of the flesh to the dictate of the soul. The flesh must be subject to the soul or else it will distract the soul and it will not reach its goal. At this beginning, God seems to be very far. The reading goes further thus: "I sought him, but found him not; I called him, but he gave no answer". However, we must not give up; we must be more committed, as the reading says, "I rise now and go about the city, in the street and in the squares; I seek him whom my soul loves".
When the flesh has been subject to the dictate of the soul and made to taste the peace that comes from union with God, then the word of the psalmist comes true: "O God, you are my God; at dawn I seek you; for you my soul is thirsting. For my flesh is pinning, like a dry, weary land without water". A this point the soul reaches God. The first reading put it this way: "The watchmen found me as they went about in the city. Have you found him whom my soul loves? Scarcely had I passed them, when I found him whom my soul loves". That is Mary Magdalene we just described.
Mary Magdalene was a good companion to Jesus: she helped him in his ministry; and she was present at the foot of the cross. The attitude of Mary Magdalene, in today's gospel, is likened to that of the lover in the first reading. She came to the tomb and could not see the body of Jesus; she ran back to tell the apostles. They went to the tomb and when they found it empty they left but Mary Magdalene remained there weeping and continue searching for her love until she saw two angels and later the resurrected Jesus. Mary found him whom her soul loves. She fulfilled the first reading and showed us how to seek and find God.
Mary Magdalene also stands in history as a hope to sinners; she was a woman from whom Jesus Christ cast out seven demons(Lk.8:1-3). Today she is celebrated in the Church. She stands as a testimony to God's mercy. In her we see a God who pardons iniquity, pass over transgression, tread iniquities under foot and casts out sins into the depths of the sea. We thank God for her life today and beg her to intercede for us, sinners.

Lord Jesus Christ, as you deliver Mary Magdalene from evil spirits, deliver us from the power of sin. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments