Crisis of Faith

Reflection on Today's Readings and Memorial of St. Martha, Wednesday of 17th Week in Ordinary Time Year II, 29th July, 2020
Texts: Jer. 15:10,16-21; Ps. 59:2-4,10-18; John 11:19-27
Today's first reading reveals our experience in the journey of faith. We see in Jeremiah our own crisis of faith. Jeremiah had an inner crisis which made him to doubt his mission and wanted to quit. He received the words of God and assimilated them and became to him a joy and the delight of his heart. But whenever he spoke God's words to the people, he faced attack. He was attacked not because of his upright life, but because of God's words. Hence, he said, "Woe is me, my mother, that you bore me, a man of strife and contention to the whole land! I have not lent, nor borrowed, yet all of them curse me". He recounted what his life turned to because of speaking God's words: "I did not sit in the company of merrymakers, nor did I rejoice; I sat alone, because your hand was upon me, for you have filled me with indignation". He resented the circumstance of his life, doubted his mission and wanted to call it a quit. Hence, God said, "If you return, I will restore you, and you shall stand before me. If you utter what is precious, and not worthless, you shall be as my mouth". 
Dear friends, there may be certain circumstances of our lives that we resent and make us to doubt whether God even take note of our good deeds. This thorn, sometimes, may be a child, one's spouse, barrenness, etc. Let us remember this word of scripture: "God would not be so unjust to forget all you have done, the love that you have for his name or the service you have done, and you are still doing, for the holy people of God" (Heb. 6:10). 
St. Martha, whose memorial is today, did not allow the agony of her brother's death to affect her faith in resurrection. When Jesus asked her whether she still believed in resurrection, she said, "Yes". Afterwards, Jesus wrought the miracle that brought her brother to life. Let us continue to affirm our faith in Jesus Christ, no matter the circumstances; he will always remain our strength in time of trials and temptation.

Lord Jesus, always be our strength in time of trials and crisis of faith that we may not derail from the path of faith. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments