Saints Peter and Paul: How they Challenge Us

Reflection on Today's Readings and Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Monday 29th June, 2020
Texts: Acts 12:1-11; Ps. 2Tim. 4:6-8,17--18; Mtt. 16:3-19
Today is the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, the pillars of the Church. Today's Readings give an insight into the sacrifice they made for the church, the people of God, and how God kept them safe from their enemies. The first reading tells us of St. Peter's arrest and how he was delivered. The church prayed earnestly for him and that reminds us of the need to always pray for our Pope that his faith may not fail. The gospel reminds us of the importance of St. Peter in the Church when Jesus Christ says, "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven". 
St. Peter was an apostle to the Jews while St. Paul was made an apostle to the Gentiles. They were happy to suffer and give up their lives for the sake of the gospel. Today's second reading tells us of St. Paul's readiness to give up his life for God. Though his death was before him, he acknowledged that it was God who kept him safe and enabled him to proclaim the gospel. He says, "But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength to proclaim the word fully, that all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth". For St. Paul, to be kept alive is to proclaim the gospel.   By this, St. Paul challenges us to ask ourselves this question: my being alive today of what value it has to God and to humanity? As Christians, to be alive is to be Christ to others.
The first reading calls us to appreciate the power of prayer. The church prayed for St. Peter and he was delivered. In the second reading, St. Paul reminds us that our labour for the gospel will not go for nothing. He says, " I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing". The crown waiting for us being the crown of Righteousness tells us the importance of Righteous life here on earth, for we will only reap what we sow. Like St. Paul, we need to fight the good fight, keep the faith and finish the race so as to win the crown of Righteousness. We are to also trust in the power of prayer.

Lord our God, give us strength to fight the good fight, to keep the faith and to finish the race so as to win the crown of Righteousness. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

0 Comments