Ways in which God speaks and instructs us

Reflection on Today's Readings and Memorial of St. Boniface, 9th Week of Ordinary Time Year 11, Friday 5th June, 2020
Texts: 2Tim. 3:10-17; Ps. 119:157.160-168; John Mark 12:35-37
God speaks and instructs us in different ways. Today's readings present to us two different ways in which God speaks and instructs us.
God speaks and instructs us through Scripture. Scripture contains the various ways in which God has revealed himself to man in words, deeds and events. It records man's history with God. Scripture, therefore, becomes the repository of the revelation of God. Hence, in the gospel, Jesus showed that the people did not know him because of their ignorance of scripture. He cleared their ignorance by quoting David's words in the scripture, Psalm 110:1: "The Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand, till I put your enemies under your feet". He added thus: "David himself calls him Lord; so how is he his son? This brings to mind the words of St. Jerome: "Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ".
 In the first reading, St. Paul advised Timothy to hold on to what he (Timothy) had learned from scripture, for it is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
There are also some people, in our time and age, through whom God speaks and instructs us. These people's lives are  revelations of God's faithfulness, might, love and mercy. What we are talking about here is mentorship. Hence, St. Paul told Timothy thus: "You have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions, my sufferings, what befell me ....; yet from them all the Lord rescued me. From these, Timothy was to learn that though many are the afflictions of the just, from them all God shall rescue them. He was to learn that God is able to deliver and save. However, St. Paul says, "Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted".
Dear friends, learning from scripture and saints as mentors keeps us going in trying and joyful moments.   Moral decadence among us today is as result of distancing of ourselves from scripture and mentorship of the saints. When we return to the scripture and mentorship of the saints, then our lives will be better and we will be happy for it. Reading scripture and lives of saints every day has a way of keeping us safe from evil; it gives us a special grace and protection.

Lord Jesus, inflame our hearts with the love of scripture and saints. Amen.

Fr. Andrew Olowomuke

Post a Comment

6 Comments